The Pardu

The Pardu
Watchful eyes and ears feed the brain, thus nourishing the brain cells.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Liz Cheney On Fox News Sunday: CIA Torture Report Anyone?

"Stop ‘political’ investigation of torture....."

Fox News again Dick Cheney's daughter, Liz, another run for its viewers. As expected Cheney fulfilled her political and propaganda role in attacking developing attention to US torture during Bush/Cheneys "crusades in the Middle East." As Diane Feinstein's Senate Security Committee forwards an extensive report (four years investigation and compilations) to the White House. 

Let's take our quick Fox News at work  look, starting with facts related to US embassy and consulate attacks. The Raw Story piece then follows and we close with linkage to pieces related to Ambassador Steven's refusal of additional security at least twice in months prior to the attack.







Liz Cheney: Stop ‘political’ investigation of torture and focus more on Benghazi (via Raw Story )
Fox News contributor Liz Cheney on Sunday argued that a United States Senate report on Bush-era torture was “political” and that lawmakers should spend more time investigating President Barack Obama’s role in failing to prevent terrorist attacks…
________________________________________

In 2013 many sources reported Ambassador Stevens had, in fact, refused additional, a security at the US Embassy and Consulate. The reports are contested by the Gregory Hicks, a Stevens deputy and the GOP. 

Official: Amb. Stevens Refused Additional Security

benghazi debris 600x400
U.S. envoy Chris Stevens refused offers of more security before the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya in which he was killed, McClatchy Newspapers reported. 
Why Stevens turned down the offers was unclear, given embassy officials during an Aug. 15 meeting concluded they could not defend the consulate in Benghazi amid deteriorating conditions in the city, government officials told McClatchy in an article published Tuesday. 
In a cable, the embassy outlined the circumstances and said it would detail what it needed in a separate cable. 
"In light of the uncertain security environment, US Mission Benghazi will submit specific requests to US Embassy Tripoli for additional physical security upgrades and staffing needs by separate cover," said the cable, which was first reported by Fox News.
Rather than wait for the second cable, however, Army Gen. Carter Ham, then-commander of the U.S. Africa Command, called Stevens and asked if the embassy needed a special security team, the officials said. Stevens told Ham it did not, the government officials said. 
During a meeting several weeks later, Ham again asked Stevens if he wanted additional military security and again Stevens said no, the officials told McClatchy. 
"He didn't say why. He just turned it down," one official said, speaking anonymously. 
McClatchy said the offer of aid and Stevens' refusal were not revealed in either the State Department's Accountability Review Board investigation of the Benghazi events or during congressional hearings and reports issued into what happened Sept. 11, 2011, when the consulate was stormed and Stevens and three other diplomatic staffers were killed.
Read More linked above

Report: Officials say Stevens turned down extra Benghazi security




Share on facebook?hare on twitterShare on emailShare on google_plusone_shareMore Sharing Services20U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, who died with three other Americans in last year’s attack in Benghazi, Libya, turned down offers of additional security from military personnel on two occasions, according to a report released late Tuesday from McClatchy newspapers.The report cites two anonymous government officials who said “the senior U.S. military official in the region” twice approached Stevens with the offer, and Stevens twice declined. The report does not say why Stevens would have declined the offer.T

According to the report, U.S. officials at in Libya met in mid-August, about three weeks before the attack, to discuss the “uncertain security environment.” The meeting provoked Army Gen. Carter Ham to approach Stevens on two occasions with the offer of a special security team from the U.S. military. 
“He didn’t say why. He just turned it down,” a Defense official told McClatchy.
The report comes as GOP lawmakers have renewed their probe into the administration’s handling of the attack, questioning whether more resources could have been deployed before and during the assault to protect American lives.  
The McClatchy report says some lawmakers may have been aware of Stevens’s decision. 
GOP lawmakers, though, expressed skepticism over the report.




Benghazi attack was preventable, Senate panel says

By KIMBERLY DOZIER AP Intelligence Writer7:44 A.M.JAN. 15, 2014

Excerpt
"The security situation in Benghazi is 'trending negatively' and ... this daily pattern of violence would be the new normal for the foreseeable future," the head State Department officer in Benghazi was quoted as saying weeks before the attack. While the nearby CIA annex upgraded its security, the temporary mission did not, the report said. 
It said Stevens acknowledged the need for more security yet also turned down available U.S. military resources. The report said the Defense Department had provided a Site Security Team in Tripoli, made up of 16 special operations personnel. But the State Department decided not to extend the team's mission in August 2012, one month before the attack. In the weeks that followed, Gen. Carter Ham, then the head of the military's Africa Command, twice asked Stevens to employ the team, and twice Stevens declined, the report said.
Stevens had tried to arrange a local Libyan security force to replace the Americans, but the report said the force was never formed because of bureaucratic delays. 
Still, the report faults the U.S. military for failing to anticipate it might be called on. It also says there was confusion within the Pentagon as to the location of the CIA annex — and says the regional U.S. commander must know where such facilities are in the future.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said the committee report "largely reaffirms" earlier findings and that the security recommendations are consistent with steps the State Department has already taken. 
Read more flinked above 

Any degree of fallacy and fanciful B/S to deflect from her unrepentant and criminal father!

No comments :

Post a Comment