Repost with permission and a must read. Let's not allow ourselves to devolve into the literal mess brewing on the Right. Also, let's see if we can convince five others to get out and vote this fall.
Our 2016 Road-Map to Democratic Victory
By Dr. Judith P. Sinclair.
By Dr. Judith P. Sinclair.
THE USE OF "BEST PRACTICE" - FOR OURSELVES, FOR OUR DEMOCRATIC PARTY
It is no secret that leading candidate Donald Trump has used his extensive marketing and business background, including “best practice” axioms, wisely, and has indeed “found a need and filled it.” Although he has distorted them for his own end, they are worth taking a look at.
"Best practice" refers to our ability, through method and/or practice, to consistently provide superior results. Yet the idea is not really limited to business only, but carries across all disciplines and domains, ensuring success.
A best practice approach fins win/win ways to change and improve any objective. Its hallmarks include quality service, products, and management, while at the same time respecting the various stakeholders and showing empathy for their situation.
Although in the Trump example it is hard to find any trace of ethics or values, the real idea here is that not only inside but outside any business or entity, the way things are done has an important and positivist effect - not only on customers, but also on suppliers, neighbors and the wider public.
If we Democrats can take a cue from business and best practices and extrapolate this set of core values as a baseline going forward, we will provide ourselves with a clear and useful strategy that can and will take us across the finish line. These values include:
- Using our core values to clearly define what we stand for and how we do things, this helping us to work together in the most fulfilling way and nurturant way to provide the best candidates and platform for our constituency.
- Striving for excellence through continuous improvements in all our work, without losing our compassion for others.
- Leading by example - acting in a way that exemplifies what we expect of each other and for our constituency.
- Working together - bringing out the best in each other through tolerance and kindness, and creating strong and successful working relationships.
- Respecting people for who they are and for their knowledge, skills and experience as individuals and team members.
- Dedicating ourselves to be open and honest in our communication - sharing information, insight and advice, frequently and constructively and managing tough situations with courage and candor.
- Acting with kindness and integrity - constantly striving to uphold the highest professional standards.
- Aiming to innovate not replicate in our efforts to address tomorrow's challenges today.
Ladies and gentlemen of the Democratic Party: Think about what Trump has done using only the barest, simplist marketing techniques to promote his ill-prepared and distorted approach to winning the Presidential election, and think how far he has come despite our original disbelief.
Then think about what we can do if we appropriate best practices that ensure not only our own victory, but the betterment of society as we approach our goal. Our success is in the making; we have only to aim for it.
Dr. Judith P. Sinclair